Are Your Legs Causing You Pain and Concern?
Thursday, July 16, 2009
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa - Vein Center at Iowa Heart wants you to enjoy each and every day by keeping your legs happy and healthy. One of the largest leg problems is the development of varicose veins and spider veins, but with the Vein Center's treatment options, you can care for your symptoms before the pain becomes unbearable.
Did you know?
- About 30 percent to 60 percent of adults have varicose or spider veins
- Varicose veins and spider veins develop more often in women's legs than in men's legs.
- Occupations that involve an extensive amount of standing can be harmful to your legs
- Obesity is a large contributor to the cause of leg pain
- High blood pressure is a trigger for varicose and spider veins
- Dark green, blue, or purple bulging veins in legs
- Leg fatigue, aching, cramping, restlessness, swelling, or discoloration
- Sores or ulcerations located below the knees that do not heal
- A history of deep vein thrombosis or blood clots
While it is recommended to wear support stockings and elevate your legs, sometimes the pain is too great to go without professional treatment. If your legs already have painful varicose or spider veins, you may want to visit a vascular care specialist to find out what treatment options are available for you. The Vein Center at Iowa Heart offers free vein screenings around the state. Visit the Web site at www.healthylegsmatter.com to find out when the next screening is happening in your area.
About MercyOne Iowa Heart Vein Center
MercyOne Iowa Heart Vein Center is part of a multidisciplinary approach to overall cardiovascular health and disease prevention by the physicians and staff of the MercyOne Iowa Heart Center. Since its founding as a one-physician practice in 1970, MercyOne Iowa Heart Center's focus has remained the same: To provide quality, leading-edge, compassionate care to its patients and their families. With nearly 60 cardiologists and surgeons serving 11 locations across the state including offices at Mercy Medical Center, Iowa Methodist Medical Center and Iowa Lutheran Hospital as well as a clinic in West Des Moines. Dedication to being the best has helped Iowa Heart Center grow to one of the premiere cardiology, vascular and cardiovascular surgery practices in the nation.
If you would learn more about MercyOne Iowa Heart Vein Center, please contact:
Amy BentzPR & Marketing Specialist
Am I a Candidate?
Determine if you are at risk for developing or already have symptoms for venous disease.